The first formal securities business organisation in Malaysia was the Singapore Stockbrokers' Association, established in 1930. It was re-registered as the Malayan Stockbrokers' Association in 1937. The Malayan Stock Exchange was established in 1960 and the public trading of shares commenced. The board system had trading rooms in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, linked by direct telephone lines.
In 1964, the Stock Exchange of Malaysia was established. With the secession of Singapore from Malaysia in 1965, the Stock Exchange of Malaysia became known as the Stock Exchange of Malaysia and Singapore. In 1973, currency interchangeability between Malaysia and Singapore ceased, and the Stock Exchange of Malaysia and Singapore was divided into the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange Berhad and the Stock Exchange of Singapore. The Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange which was incorporated on December 14, 1976 as a company limited by guarantee, took over the operations of the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange Berhad in the same year.
On April 14, 2004, we changed our name to Bursa Malaysia Berhad, following our demutualisation exercise, the purpose of which was to enhance our competitive position and to respond to global trends in the exchange sector by making us more customer-driven and market-oriented.
On 18 March 2005, Bursa Malaysia was listed on the Main Board of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad.
We accomplished double achievements when the exchange received certifications for conformance to the ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management System and ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management System standards on 5 October 2007.
September 2009 saw Bursa Malaysia Berhad entering into a strategic partnership with Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) with the view to improve accessibility to its derivatives offerings globally. CME holds 25% of the equity stake in Bursa Malaysia Derivatives Berhad, while the remaining 75% interest is held by Bursa Malaysia Berhad.